BALLARAT NEWSPAPERS DIGITISED AND ONLINE
Index to The Ballarat Times Aug 1854-Jan 1855, John Alan Chisholm, 1996. This newspaper pre-dates the Ballarat Star so it is a valuable resource for that early period on the diggings leading up to and following the Eureka Stockade on the 3rd of December 1854. This newspaper is available on microfilm at the Eureka Centre to 1861.
Also see:- The Ballarat Times (Oct 1854-1861) - Reason in Revolt
The Ballarat Star Personal Notices 1878-79, 1880.
The Society holds unpublished searchable indexes to personal notices published in The Courier (Ballarat) from 1945-2016. Requests for lookups may be made via the Research page
Ballarat Newspapers digitised and online at Trove
- The Ballarat Star newspaper at Trove 1855-1864
- The Star (Ballarat) newspaper at Trove 1865-1924 - these two digitisation projects for The Star were initiated by the Ballarat & District Genealogical Society in 2011. Funds of around $60,000 have been provided by the Society from our own coffers, grants and generous donations. Feedback tells us how valuable this resource is to family and local historians, not to mention students and authors.
- Ballarat Courier (Vic. : 31 Dec 1869 – 1883) - this ongoing digitisation project is a partnership with the National Library of Australia and the Ballarat & District Genealogical Society which is providing the finance.
Melbourne Newspapers digitised and online at TroveMany reports from Ballarat and District are to be found in the following.
- Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854-1954)
- The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1840-1954)
- The Australasian (Melbourne, Vic. : 1864 - 1946)
- The Australasian Sketcher with Pen and Pencil (Melbourne, Vic. : 1873 - 1889)
- The Herald (Melbourne, Vic. : 1861 - 1954)
- Weekly Times (Melbourne, Vic. : 1869 - 1954)
Geelong Advertiser digitised and online at TroveGeelong pre-dated Ballarat so many Ballarat news items can be found such as the discovery of the Ballarat goldfields.
The Australian Women's WeeklyIn this national magazine, Ballarat and District articles and pictures can be found either by using Trove as usual or by using a 'Trial AWW Discovery Interface.' A search for Ballarat brings up 1160 results including items relating to begonias, education, gold, homes, letters and Royal visits.
Digitised Ballarat & District Newspapers WW1 - Trove
- The Ararat Advertiser (Vic. : 1914 - 1918)
- Ballan Times (Vic. : 1914 - 1918)
- The Ballarat Star (1914 - 1918)
- Berringa Herald (Vic. : 1914 - 1918)
- The Courier (Ballarat, Vic, : 1914-1918)
- Clunes Guardian and Gazette (Vic. : 1918 - 1918)
- Creswick Advertiser (Vic. : 1914 - 1918)
- The Evening Echo (Ballarat, Vic. : 1914 - 1918)
- Gordon, Egerton and Ballan Advertiser (Vic. : 1914 - 1918)
- Grenville Standard (Vic. : 1915 - 1918)
- Pitfield Banner and Hollybush Times (Vic. : 1914 - 1918)
- Talbot Leader (Vic. : 1914 - 1918)
- St Arnaud Mercury (Vic. : 1914 - 1918)
On microfilm for use at the Eureka Centre
- The Argus 1846-1868
- Ballarat Times 1854-1861
- Miner & Weekly Star 1856-1864
- Geelong Advertiser 1859-1861, 1882
- Creswick & Clunes Advertiser 1859-1902
- The Ballarat Courier 11 Jun 1867-31 Dec 1993
- (The years 1994 to 1997 have yet to be filmed. Ask at the office for paper copies)
- The Ballarat Courier 1 Jan 1998-30 Apr 2003
- Ballarat Evening Mail 1869-1871
- Ballarat Evening Post 1864-1877
- Buninyong Telegraph 1873-1908
- Gordon, Egerton & Ballan Advertiser 7 Jan 1882-13 Jan 1921