You must be a registered member and logged in to view the events calendar.Join now
All ordinary meetings of members are cancelled until further notice due to the closure of the Ballarat North Community Centre due to the Coronaviris/COVID-19.
The Committee agrees that this is the best decision out of consideration for our members who mainly fall into the high risk category. The Committee will keep you informed.
We appreciate your understanding.
The 4th Tuesday of each month with the exceptions of December and January at 7.30 pm, Ballarat North Community Centre Hall, 704 Walker Street, Ballarat North 3350.
An engaging program of subjects of interest to the genealogist is being arranged.
Come along to the meetings and listen to those many and varied guest speakers, ask questions, and find some answers to those hard to solve problems.
During the period of isolation, the centre has been closed to all activities including Senior Citizens, U3A and the Genealogical Society; the only people able to be on site have been Council officers and contractors. In the next few weeks refurbishment works will be completed. These include laying a new floor in the Hall, the lining of brick walls, painting, sealing, electrical works and plumbing.
The State of Victoria has been gradually lifting restrictions and 'community centres' have been mentioned. Ballarat North's main activity is centred around its use for most of its time, by older members of the community - those most vulnerable to the virus in our community. It has been the City Council, that has insisted upon buildings such as our being closed as a way of protecting its older community members. So we cannot use the building for any activity until given the word by both the State government and local Council.
Please note that when we are able to resume BDGS ordinary meetings they will be held in the large Hall at the community centre. This arrangement will allow us plenty of space for physical distancing. The BDGS committee has discussed the possibility of deferring the AGM from August to October but a decision cannot be made until the powers that be give us the green light.